I think I put them in upside down. Apparently, there was a top and a bottom. They looked like pieces of straw at the time with no discernible right-side or wrong-side.
These were the three daylillies from a previous post. Only one has sprouted. I dug up the other two to see if there was any sign of greenness, but no. Now, the one that survived sprung up way over to one side, which is why I'm thinking they went in upside down. Crap, there's another weed in the picture. I think I need to take a photography class and study "staging"; primarily, as it applies to the absence of weeds.
I'm not sure which daylilly this is, so it is a little exciting anticipating which it will be. I did notice there is a second sprout, which is barely visible from the living pot. In hindsight, I'm thinking I may have put two in one pot. Twice the fun, I say!