Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Travel: The Omni San Diego

This past weekend my lovely wife, M2, and I had a grown-ups only weekend in San Diego.  One of the nice things about the suburbs is that, by definition, there is a major city nearby.  For us, we have two:  Los Angeles to the west and San Diego to the south.  We decided to spend a couple of nights at the Omni Hotel in the Gas Lamp district of San Diego.  Very nice district with pubs and restaurants aplenty.

One of the notable features of the Omni is its location with respect to Petco Park, the stadium where the San Diego Padres play.  It's just across the street.  Below is a photo from our room.


Previously we stayed around the corner on the side of the building facing the stadium.  We could look down into the field and if it were baseball season I could have watched nearly all of the game from the comfort of my bathroom.  It would have only been better if I could have actually sat on the porcelain throne and watched.  Wouldn't that have been a picture.

The hotel also has its own entrance, a bridge that crosses over the street separating the two, into the stadium.  I'll need to check the schedule and see if our Anaheim Angels (I'm not calling them Los Angeles) play some interleague games there this year.  Although, I'm freightened to know what the rates are on game nights.

From the other direction we had a view of the Gas Lamp distrct and San Diego.

I've swiped some pictures from the Omni website below.  As I said, this was a "grown ups" weekend.  There wasn't much leaving the room (wink-wink) for picture taking.


The bridge leading into Petco Park.



Lobby.



Pool.  We did enjoy a drink (or two) out here as the weather was gorgeous.



View of the outside.

It was a great hotel to stay at.  There is a McCormick & Schmick's restaurant on the first floor.  McCormick & Schmick's is a chain restaurant with locations throughout the United States.

My only complaint about the entire weekend was the room service we ordered Saturday night.  I'm not sure if the restaurant prepares the food or the hotel has their own kitchen, but the meal was not good.  And, I had a caesar salad.  How the hell can you screw up a caesar salad?  Throw a chunk of cold dry chicken on the top.  Ick.  And, it was too bad as the breakfast is spectacular.  Bananas Foster French Toast.  Enough said.  Get it.  Eat it.  Love it.  Send me a buck for the recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment